Work From Home: Cybersecurity Awareness Topics & Best Practices For Maintaining Robust Digital Hygiene – Personal Devices
What To Be Aware Of:
Personal devices can be targets for malicious software (malware), used to gather information from personal devices to be used in subsequent cyber-attacks and as a pivot point to gain access to other devices and assets.
How To Protect Yourself:
- Maintain the latest operating system and application (e.g., browser) patches, and security software
- Inspect and update networking devices frequently, including routers, firewalls, and wireless products
- Reduce your attack surface by removing data stored on personal devices valuable to cyber attackers
- Implement strong multifactor authentication when using internet-based applications and services
- Utilize a cloud service to encrypt and securely store critical personal files remotely
- Learn how to review the logs produced by personal device activity
- Prune applications not being used often to reduce your device attack surface
- Avoid installing feature-rich applications that have only free services – if it’s free, you are the product!
- Think about how you protect assets in the natural world and apply that same skill in the digital world
- Use common sense – if it seems suspicious or dangerous, it probably is!
Also, view this installment of the GuardSight Work From Home Series on the GuardSight GitHub.
Please Contact Us anytime if you have any questions about how GuardSight can help defend critical assets against cybersecurity threats, improve cybersecurity posture, and reduce overall risk for your company.